Did you Know?
10 spellbinding facts about the Harry Potter series of books and films
1. Dumbledore is an Old English word for bumblebee? Rowling said she chose the name as she pictured Dumbledore humming to himself.
2. Sirius Black and Fred Weasley, two tricksters from different generations both died laughing.
3. If Muggles stumbled across Hogwarts, it would look like a dilapidated building with a Keep Out: Dangerous sign.
4. Rowling nearly killed off Ron partway through the series because she “wasn’t in a very happy place” in her life.
5. Rowling’s favourite animal is an otter, which is Hermione’s patronus.
6. The names of the Hogwarts Houses were created on the back of an aeroplane sick bag.
7. The Dementors are based on Rowling’s struggle with depression following her mother’s death.
8. The actress who played Moaning Myrtle, a 14-year-old bathroom haunting ghost, was actually 36 when she filmed her scenes.
9. Harry’s lightning scar had to be applied 5,800 times over the course of the 8 films.
10. Stephen King thinks Dolores Umbridge is “the greatest make-believe villain to come along since Hannibal Lecter.”
And if you’d like to read this again…Obliviate!